SPINAL REHABILITATION – WHAT IS IT AND HOW CAN IT HELP ME?
Spinal rehabilitation is indicated for patients who have developed physical de-conditioning of their muscular systems. Physical rehabilitation is successful by improving muscular endurance, balance, flexibility, coordination and strength through specific therapeutic activities. The goal of rehabilitation is to minimize pain and maximize function.
A variety of therapies are also used at the Myrtle Beach Spine Center, PA to speed the healing process and improve patient comfort. These include: electrical muscle stimulation, heat or ice, muscle relaxation techniques, spinal traction, and trigger point therapy. The physicians of the Spine Center custom design programs to strengthen, balance and rehab the spine.
- Neuromuscular re-education is used in order to improve movement, balance, coordination, kinesthetic sense, posture and proprioception for sitting and/or standing activities. Tandem exercises, along with a postural challenges, may be utilized to evaluate stability.
- Therapeutic exercise training is used with the purpose of increasing and maintaining strength, endurance, range of motion and flexibility. These activities incorporate one parameter of strength, endurance, range of motion, or flexibility.
- Percussion Therapy can be used to increase the functional performance and range of motion. It can also decrease inflammation and muscle spasms in the involved areas.
- 3-D Vibration Acceleration Training creates instability in the body, which in turn, with each vibration, the body is forced to perform reflexive muscle actions, many times per second. The muscle contractions work in multiple dimensions which optimally “loads” the patient’s frame while minimizing high impact, high load, and high stress factors. Its benefits range from immediate improvement in blood circulation, to a variety of other measurable outcomes such as: increased muscle strength and flexibility, improved range of motion, decreased cellulite, increased bone mineral density, reduces pain/soreness and faster recovery.
- Cervical Traction is performed to traction open the individual vertebrae and extremity segments to decrease spasms and increase mobility, circulation and nutrition to the involved joints.
**These therapies can be used in combination with chiropractic adjustments to provide the most effective treatment protocols.**